Friday, October 10, 2008

Controversy

All of you know that I do not normally use this blog for my (many) "soapbox" issues. However...I HAVE to say this.

We all know that there are countless illegal immigrants here in the United States. Recently a local plant was "raided" and bus-loads of hispanics were taken from their jobs and are being deported. I found out today that a large number of them were from Guatemala. NOW..here is where my soapbox comes in to play. I understand why immigrants are sometimes frustrating to us here in America. I, too, believe that if America is going to be your home, you should become a citizen/pay taxes etc. ON THE FLIP SIDE, I have spent a lot of time in their country, as many of you have. They are poor. They are not looking to become citizens or spend the rest of their lives here. They just want to work and send money home. We cannot imagine what just one week's salary could pay for in a third world country!

I am not going to go on and on, but I just wanted to remind everyone to pray for these people. It's easy to judge when you are unaware or ignorant to someone's situation. For someone who has a child from Guatemala, it was quite painful to hear about these people being "shipped back to where they belong" I believe that's how I've heard people put it. YUK!

Okay, I'll stop now. I was just a little surprised at how this affected me. It made me really sad. I love that country and I am going to pray every day for the people who have had to leave.

(I realize there are exceptions to every rule. I'm sure there are those from the hispanic community who may take advantage of their freedom here. So, please, noone comment about this. I am only speaking of those who truly are here, illegal or not, because they are wanting a better life or to earn money for their families back home.)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree with you 100 % !!