Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WANTED: Wisdom from experienced moms!!

Somebody help me!!!!! JP has had the croup this week. Thankfully, I did not have to miss work. His GaGa (Scott's mom) took great care of him for me!! Thanks, GaGa! Anyway, I called her just about every day to see how he was. Every day she told me the same thing...."he's wonderful," "he's a joy to be around," "he has been great!" And so on and so on. Now, what's my problem, you ask?! The MINUTE I walk in the door to pick him up, he turns in to the devil! This is not something that happened only this week. It's all the time. Don't get me wrong, he is a good boy and easily entertained, but for me and me alone, I get the pleasure of temper tantrums, screaming, throwing things etc...etc... NO ONE else sees this!!! What am I doing wrong?? As far as discipline, those who know me will tell you that I don't put up with much. I spank him often. So, I HONESTLY do not feel like he's being a brat because I've allowed it. However, I do not feel that spanking is effective in this area. I would spend the majority of my time with him spanking him. Does anyone have words of wisdom or suggestions?? PLEASE comment on this one. I feel very alone with this. Naturally, I would rather JP behave for other people, but it would be nice if I got to enjoy it as well! Let me hear from you....


P.S. This is not a poll to see who spanks and who doesn't, nor am I looking to see who agrees with it..I ONLY want to know how you handle the tantrums and attitude when they are angels every where else! It is making me crazy! (Now that I have said that, I do love my little Mayan more than life itself and he is a joy to be with a lot of the time. I am just super frustrated today!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. No truer words will ever be spoken about parenting being the "hardest job you will ever love. My son is now eleven and has done the same. I have resigned myself to realize that God made little boys to be little boys. I would rather him "misbehave" with us than with someone else. Read John Elderidge's book "Wild at Heart". It will give you insight and make you appreciate how God made your little boy. Enjoy every single moment of his life. It will pass by so quickly. You will blink and he will be eleven! :-)

Mom&Dad to A & J said...

I think it is completely normal. He is safest with you so he is going to act out for you. He can push you because he knows you aren't going anywhere. Now I know it's not all cognitive for our two year olds, but I'm talking subconsciously. "A" and "J" do the same thing by the way.
Do you ever "act out" when only Scott is around? You know that he is going to love you anyway so you feel safer showing your true colors (maybe it's just me). I think it's the same thing for our kids.
Cut yourself some slack, and pick your battles. Praise him for all the good stuff, and get in some good snuggle time to rejuvenate you. (Now I should print this to remind myself.)

Katie said...

I wish I had the magic answer but I don't .The only thing I can say is that this is normal. It has happened with all for of my kids. They are ALWAYS the worst for their mom. Think of it as a good thing... he feels the most comfortable with you so will act his normal "two" year old age. I now its hard but just keep doing what you are doing and remember that it is normal :)

Katie said...

I wish I had the magic answer but I don't .The only thing I can say is that this is normal. It has happened with all for of my kids. They are ALWAYS the worst for their mom. Think of it as a good thing... he feels the most comfortable with you so will act his normal "two" year old age. I now its hard but just keep doing what you are doing and remember that it is normal :)