Monday, March 16, 2009

disappointed

I must say that today I was disappointed in a community of Christians. I will refrain from mentioning the name of the ministry, but here's what happened.....


A lady I work with has a sister in law who is going through a difficult time in her marriage. She has pleaded with her husband for a year to join her in marriage counseling. He has refused, until now. Excited and encouraged, she surfed the Internet for "Christian" counselors. She found a very popular site that offered help. She called them only to be in tears after she hung up the phone. They told her that they would be happy to help her "as long as divorce was NOT an option." She told them that divorce would be the LAST option, but she couldn't make any promises. They had a lot to work through. They then told her that they could not help her!!!


NOW.... I am not a divorce advocate or anything, but SO MUCH is wrong with this! First of all, a couple would not seek counseling if the marriage was not in danger. Divorce is rarely a first choice. And aren't those the couples that you should WANT to counsel the most?? I seriously cannot picture Christ closing the door on a couple seeking help.


Again, I will not give the name of the ministry, because it's a HUGE one and one that I have followed for years. I may just have to write a letter!


I really think that the response she was given was a very "Pharisee" response. It made me think, you can dress up and play the part of the Christian, and completely miss out on a God opportunity because your views are clouded by your rules. I can't help but be reminded of how IMPERFECT the disciples actually were.


And to think, they were the closest thing to Christ. Hmmm!

2 comments:

dad2aandj said...

Now that is just stupid. No other word I can think of for it. -T

Shelly said...

Very sad.

A lady who goes to our church and is in our lifegroup is a Christian marriage counselor near Nashville, TN. I know that's a distance from you all, but she does have weekend marriage seminars. Here is the link just in case your friends are interested.

http://www.buildingagracefulmarriage.com/index.html

Shelly