Thursday, August 2, 2012

my thoughts on the chick fil a controversy

I am not sure what to write.  My mind has been overflowing with thoughts on this particular subject.  And putting those thoughts down in one post seems almost impossible.

But, I'll try.

I love Chick Fil A.  I love their sandwiches, their indoor playground, their cookies, and their sausage and egg biscuits.  Most of all, I LOVE their sweet tea!  There is not much I do not like about the restaurant.  So, if you were under the impression that I was going to "bash" them, you are wrong.  Very wrong.  In fact, like many others, I respect the CEO and founder for his beliefs and his willingness to share his faith in a public fashion.  However, if you ask me if I sat in line for a meal in support of their appreciation day, my answer would be a resounding NO!  I will even take it a step further and say that the display of "support" made me sick.  Heartbroken.

Bottom line?  We, as Christians, are supposed to point people TOWARDS Jesus.  Not away from Him.  It's wonderful that so many out there support the founder of Chick Fil A, but I hate to tell you that the only message that was spread throughout the homosexual community yesterday was HATE!  Do you think Jesus was truly happy about that?

Those of you who know me, know that I LOVE watching Dr. Phil.  There is a phrase that he uses repeatedly when talking to his guests.  He says, "perception is reality."  I know a LOT of people who rushed to the drive thru line yesterday.  And I know that they do not HATE gay and lesbians.  They actually meant well.  But, CLEARLY, the message sent out was not received by the opposing community as a message of love.  And if that was their perception of the whole "appreciation day", then unfortunately, it was a reality. 

And I cannot support that.

I happen to believe in the traditional marriage union.  I am not ashamed of that.  And when asked my belief, I have no problem sharing.  But I also have to believe that there are FAR more productive and loving ways for me to share my faith than sitting in a fast food line for two hours just to order a chicken sandwich.  In other words, at the end of the day, what was accomplished for the Kingdom?

I would have to say nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

No comments: