Saturday, January 29, 2011

she is sleeping

We took JP to his first receiving of friends today at my parent's church. Our missionary friends in Guatemala lost their mother this week. George and Helen welcomed us into their home in 2007 when we went to pick up JP. We were there five or so weeks. They have always been so special to our family. They have not seen JP since he was a baby, so I was so excited for him to see them. It went well. JP stood quietly in line with me awaiting his turn to give a hug and say hello. As we inched up to the family, I realized that the casket was open. It did not occur to me to talk to JP about this. I chose not to make a big deal out of it. I was not going to hide him from it, nor was I going to point it out!

Of course he noticed. "Mommy, who is that lady?" "That is George's mommy," I said. He continued, "What is wrong with her?" I said the first thing that came to mind, "Nothing is wrong, she is sleeping." THANKFULLY, this explanation was good enough for him! "Oh, okay. We'll be very quiet so we don't wake her up!" I told him that, that was a good idea.

The conversation ended there. Later in the afternoon, I put JP down for a nap. When he fell asleep I stayed a little longer just to look at him. His skin is so beautiful and his eyelashes are so long. He looked so peaceful. Just like George's mom did.

I almost cried. Obviously, Mrs. Hardeman was not sleeping. However, a few days ago you could say she "went to sleep." Only this time when she drifted off, she woke up in the arms of her Savior!

What a blessing!

No comments: