Monday, July 13, 2009

a child at calvary

It was so hot that day. You didn't have to be outside long before the sweat began to form above your lip and eyebrow. Everyone was screaming. Some were yelling obscenities, others were pleading with the men to stop. By no means was it a quiet day. I was off to the side alone. I did not want to be in the middle of everything. I only came to see if what I had heard was true. I turned to see Him. He was being led up the hill by Roman soldiers. He was carrying His own cross. It must have been really heavy, because as Jesus carried it, He fell to the ground several times. I wanted to run to him and try to help. He had helped me so many times. I knew there was nothing I could do. If it was too heavy for Jesus, I certainly was not strong enough to hold it. He is a much stronger person than I am. He was bleeding. He had really bad bruises all over His body. I had never seen Him like this before. I was a little bit afraid. As the men approached, I ducked behind a bush. It felt safer there.


Once they were at the top of the hill, the guards stabilized the cross into the ground. I understood what they were doing, I just didn't understand why they were doing it to Him. What had He done? The whole seen was ironic, really. There were people there who I know for a fact had followed Jesus and told Him that they loved Him. Now, here were those same people screaming at the Roman men to crucify Him.

I don't know that I can replay the events that took place next. It was very gruesome and emotional for me. My point in telling you the story at all is to share with you some of the last words that I heard Jesus speak. It was after He had been hanging on the cross for a few minutes. He was wailing and moaning in pain. I don't know how I heard Him, but I did. I guess I was supposed to. With spit, gravel, dirt and blood on His mouth, he spoke to His Father and said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing!"

To this day, I cannot get the picture out of my head. Jesus forgave those who cursed Him. As unbelievable as it sounds, it's true. Being there that day and seeing everything that happened to Jesus and knowing He asked His Father to forgive those people, makes it a lot easier for me to forgive those who have hurt me.

Hmmm...I wonder if that's why he made sure I heard Him?


"Do not repay evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is at all possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'it is Mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:17-21

No comments: