Thursday, November 7, 2013

learning to see things through a different set of eyes

"Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life."  James 1:12
 
 
Every parent of an elementary school age child hates the school car line.  If you show up too early, you are in the longest line ever.  If you show up too late, you have to go into the school and retrieve your waiting child from the office.  It's a lose/lose situation.  And I definitely HATE it.  Having said that, I snapped this picture on my phone while waiting in the car line to pick up JP the other afternoon.  If this is not a picture of God, then I don't know what is.
 
I am usually reading two or three books at one time.  I cannot remember where I saw this, (although I am almost positive it wasn't in my James Patterson novel), but recently I read how one sure way to change your attitude towards your circumstances, or situation, is to get in the habit of thanking God for the gifts He's given you.  So, I have really been trying hard (because it's much easier to complain) to focus on the good in my life.  And not JUST in my life, but life in general.  As crappy as life seems at times, there is a lot of good to be seen.  And appreciated.  So, while I was sitting in the dreadful line, I was thankful that God pointed this picture out to me.  It was a beautiful reminder.
 
 
I found this quote yesterday.  LOVE IT.  And there have been SO many people who have made me smile in recent days.  In fact, I am smiling now just thinking about it. 
 
Keeping the thankful/blessed theme going, mom reminded me that I had not shared the pictures I took last Saturday at my aunt's house with the little cousins...
BJay and Lindi Rose --- like father, like daughter.  I will leave it at that!!  Love them both. 
 

 Our little Gamecock driving off on his motorcycle.  Can you imagine Preston on a real motorcycle.  Eeek!





 
And yes I was lying on my back in the middle of the driveway.  Just because it felt good and I was enjoying the view...
 
 
I have to also credit my new "appreciation" for life to Billy Graham.  He has written, what is probably his last, book and it is now in stores...soon to be in my hands.  The Reason for My Hope   is a book about salvation.  I read an interview with Billy Graham and several other ministry leaders online.  They were all giving their opinions on why they felt the end of the world was approaching.  It was so fascinating to listen to.  To top it off, the pastor at my church preached the same sermon this past week!  I know that none of us know when Jesus is returning, but after listening to these men, I cannot help but think that it's close!  The signs are in front of us and the Old Testament prophesies are being fulfilled.  I share all of that to say this... All the things that I am worried about do not matter.  The burdens that weigh me down, they do not matter.  The thoughts that run through my mind keeping me awake at night, they do not matter.  
 
"So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever."  2 Corinthians 4:17
 
That realization is so freeing for me.  And I hope it is for you as well. 
 
Okay, I think that's all for now.  I hope that all of you have a very HAPPY THURSDAY! 
 
 


No comments: