Sunday, October 28, 2012

what a friend

When I tuck JP in to bed each night I scratch his back, play with his hair and sing to him.   I always sing two songs.   One is a lullaby that talks about angels surrounding your bed at night and keeping you in the Lord's hand.   The other (his favorite) is a lullaby in Spanish that I have been singing to him since we brought him home from Guatemala.   Usually, by the time I finish the Spanish song he is fast asleep.  Tonight was no different.

However, tonight I kept singing.  Our nighttime ritual turned into a mini praise session between me and Jesus.  It was nice.  One of the songs I sang was "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."  I know that my time with the Savior was ordained because He used these lyrics to speak to me in a very real way.  I have been working so hard over the past few weeks to keep myself  busy.  God knew that while He had me alone in a dark, quiet room, I would be free from all other distractions.  I was still.

And I heard Him.

Realizing that Jesus is ALL you need is a great truth to learn.  Unfortunately, I am learning it the HARD way.  I have been hurt.  Disappointed.  Broken.  Lonely.  Somewhere along this damaged road I have forgotten Who my real friend is.  God reminded me tonight of how misplaced my trust has been.

"What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privalege to carry
Everything to God in prayer
 
Oh what peace we often forfeit
Oh what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer."
 
 
I am so thankful for the time I spent tonight in worship.  People will let you down. Your friends are not always who they say they are.  Relationships/friendships will sometimes disappoint you.  There are many, many ways for your heart to wind up broken.  Tonight, I was gently reminded that there is ONLY ONE FRIEND who promises to NEVER hurt me.  To never leave me.  To always be there when I need to talk.  My Companion.  And I choose to put ALL my faith, ALL my trust, and ALL my love in Him. 
 
Now maybe my heart can begin to heal.
 
 


  

No comments: