Saturday, February 16, 2008

Saturday supper gone bad!

Thanks to members of our immediate family, we were able to treat ourselves to dinner more than once for "Valentine's Day." (Thanks again, you know who you are!) So, tonight we went to Fatz Cafe in Greer. From the moment we strapped ourselves into the seats of the car, things headed south. JP took ,MAYBE, a 45 minute nap all day, so he was tired from the get-go. In an attempt to keep him occupied, (aka, screaming at the top of his lungs all the way to dinner), I opened up a pack of fruit snacks. While they definitely served their purpose, his white shirt had a self-made rainbow collar by the time we reached the restaurant. But, there are worse things! I just did not realize they were in our very near future!

JP insisted on holding the vibrating beeper that alerts you when your table is ready. All was well until he had to return it to the lady at the front station. I'll let you use your imagination there. Next we headed to our table. He wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with the high chair, so I stood him beside me in the booth. We've never done this before (and never will again). He had to have everything that was on the table. I offered him the crayons and that comes with the kid's menu. He threw them across the table. I offered him his bag of cheerios. He threw them underneath the table. AFTER opening them! Did I mention that this WHOLE time he's whining...NOT crying, but whining. An ear-piercing whine. Nothing made him happy. I opened his applesauce. He only wanted it if he could feed himself. By this time, I did not care how messy he got, I just wanted him to SHUT UP! I bribed him w/ the container of applesauce and an adult sized fork to sit in his chair. Success! He took maybe 2 bites and tossed the fork across the table. He must have enjoyed this, because he began trying to swipe everthing within his reach onto the floor. He threw his sippie cup full of tea behind him almost hitting an elderly man coming back from the bathroom. By this time the opposite side of the table looked like the Enoree landfill. We couldn't put anything in front of him. The only item left at his disposal was the cup of applesauce....just as he was reaching to throw it, Scott reached across the table to stop him. Only my (completely full) glass of sweet tea was in the way. Needless to say, he knocked it over. Into my lap!!!

By this time, JP's food had arrived and he was happy as a lark. The entire episode probably lasted ten minutes, however, it felt like an eternity. Thankfully, Scott was wearing his 5 Point t'shirt that says, "JESUS" in big bold letters across the front. The Holy Spirit reminded him of that when he wanted to either cuss, or throw JP into the kitchen with the waitresses who thought he was "such a doll."

I am very proud to report that NEITHER of us lost our cool or allowed the flesh to take over! We called my parents on the way home and asked if they could come over and allow us to go to StarBucks and sit/read/drink coffee for an hour or so. We went and collected ourselves emotionally. It was nice!

I thought that most of my friends would get a kick out of this story. I trust that none of you are laughing at my expense!

5 comments:

Angela said...

Oh Andrea Honey! Welcome to the world of fitull dinners. We are lucky every now and then..Why didnt he have his doodlebops case? just kidding! I bet he might have behaved..We have finally found that we MUSt bring entertainment..By the way..how was your food? appetizing at all? A DINNER WILL NEVER BE THE SME AGAIN!!!You gotta love them though..Another piece of advice..ALWAYS take the grandparents..they hold them most of the time so you can actually enjoy your meal..this is what happened with us at dinner tonight..I never even saw Luke...Love you hum..See you Monday..I hope you enjoy starbucks!

starzy18 said...

Oh Andrea! I can picture it! I am so sorry! I can also picture the waitress saying how cute JP is! Enjoy Starbucks! Next time call me. I'll keep JP and you and Scott go to dinner ;)

Jennifer said...

Ahhh....the joys of being a parent. Eating out just isn't as fun anymore, is it?

Way to go JP...this is only the first of many times you will embarrass your parents...keep it up!! :)

JulieMom101 said...

Oh, yeah. I'm laughing. :-) And remembering those good ole days myself. I think there was a period of about 3 years when we just didn't go out to eat at all.

Melissa said...

I know my perfect little baby will never act like that...ha. When Mark and I were out to eat we were commenting on all the people that brought their children. We are hoping to take full advantage of the grandparents that live close. Sorry it was so crazy. I think I would have lost it.
Melissa