Saturday, April 21, 2012

meet israel



Say hello to Israel!  He is a five year old little boy from Bolivia.  KEEP YOUR SEATS!  We are not bringing him into our home. 


Our family will be sponsoring him each month.  I thought this would be a great opportunity for JP. 
I will list a few of the reasons I am excited about this:
  • It will temporarily satisfy my desire to help children in other countries.  If I am not at a place where I can adopt one right now, we can at the very least, help feed one.
  • JP can learn/research/study about another country.
  • I thought it would be fun for JP to write letters, draw pictures and send photos to Israel and hopefully develop a "pen pal" type relationship.
  • We've always explained JP's story to him.  I want JP to grow up understanding the importance of helping others.  Because of his background, it is even more important for him to "give back" to children.  Whether they be hungry or homeless. 


I was so excited to bring Israel's packet home.  I could not wait to show it to JP.  I envisioned JP carrying Israel's envelope around the house with him, sleeping with it etc...(he does this with other things!)

His reaction surprised me.  This morning Scott and I called him into the living room.  I showed him the picture, and asked him to look at it.  He immediately put his head on my shoulder and said, "I'm not sure about this."  I went on to explain that we were going to send money each month so that Israel would have food to eat.  He simply said, "Okay,"  and ran into the other room to resume watching cartoons.

Scott and I looked at each other when he left the room.  It was very clear that JP thought we were bringing another little boy into our home and adopting him.  It was very interesting!  I guess this will serve as a lesson for us...

If God does allow us to adopt again, it probably needs to be a much younger child!

No comments: