Friday, September 6, 2013

why facebook is not a bad thing


The timing of this blog post is a little ironic.  I made the decision on Sunday to take a week long break from Facebook and Instagram.  I even overcame the strong urge to announce my "face-cation"  in a status update for all to read.  Step one, right?!  My decision developed on the tail end of a sermon I was listening to while sitting in church Sunday morning.  The topic was not about social media, but rather things you might consider giving up for the sake of Christ.   I'll go ahead and tell you that I am in no way hopping onto the social media hater's bandwagon.  I just thought it would be a good idea for me to de-clutter my life a bit.

 Simplify things.

The main reason I love using Facebook and Instagram is because it is so much fun sharing pictures and communicating with people who I otherwise might not have contact with.  I also have family who I do not have the opportunity to see on a regular basis.  Sharing pictures and messages is an easy way to stay in touch.  Facebook definitely has it's downfalls too.  For example, my account has been hacked FOUR times, that I know of!  Each time, someone will contact me telling me that they could no longer "chat" with me, or that I had "defriended" them, etc.  One time, last October, I apparently was responding to messages and commenting on pictures that, in reality, I had not even seen.  I have no idea how this happens.  It happened again recently.  I received a text message TODAY from a girlfriend of mine telling me that she could no longer see my page.  I have changed my password AGAIN!  It is really frustrating!  But, who knows...maybe the 5th time will be a charm!

The real reason I am writing this post is because I have stumbled upon several articles recently talking about how unhealthy facebook is for families.  Especially mothers.  I read one just last week that was written in one of my favorite Christian magazines.  I am sorry, but I could  not disagree more.  Facebook, Twitter and Instagram is no different than any other "thing" in the world.  Of course it can be unhealthy.  If you spend more time in cyber space than you do with your family, it's obviously not a good thing.  If you spend more time behind the screen of  your laptop than you do in God's word, it is NOT a good thing.  Just like with food, exercise, and sports.  Moderation is key.  I love my family more than anything on earth.  Having said that, I have less adult interaction during the day since I resigned from my job.  Social media keeps me connected with my friends and other mothers I have things in common with.  Plus, I LOVE my boys and enjoying bragging on them and "showing them off."  No mother should apologize for that!

So, if you are like me and have had the misfortune of reading the articles that are anti-Facebook, etc.  Do not feel guilty!  Just keep yourself balanced.  After my one week long break, I plan on spending a little less time interacting on these sites than before.  But as far as giving them up completely,  NO WAY!

And that's my rant for this week. 

In other news: 
  • JP has not felt well.  I took him to the doctor today and learned that he has strep...ugh.  At least it is treatable and the generic antibiotic is FREE at Publix.
  • A shout out to my mom who, after being diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago, has dropped 25 pounds and is learning to control her disease with healthy eating and exercise! Those of us who LOVE her are so proud. 
  • I haven't heard back from the agent in New York.  My fingers are still crossed and my legs are still kneeling in prayer each night.  We'll see what happens....
  • In the meantime, I have two new ideas for children's books that I am S.U.P.E.R excited about.  I am not going to share quite yet, but I will tell you that if it comes together like I have planned, I will be co-writing with a certain little Mayan who I love so very much!! *wink*
That's all for today, friends!  I hope that you all have a marvelous weekend and I will "see" you on Monday!







No comments: