Monday, February 26, 2007

Something About Mary

I am NOT talking about Cameron Diaz! The Mary I am referring to was the mother of Jesus. I have thought alot about her lately. I do not know why God has put her on my heart, but He has. I thought I would write about her. We do not hear all that much about her except at Christmas time. The other day when I was praying and reading (in the bathtub!) I thought about how, in her own way, Mary was an adoptive mom. Now, before anyone freaks out on me, let me explain! Although there are NUMEROUS differences between us and Mary, there are also a few similarities. Here are a few:

-God chose Mary to be a mother.
-The child she would soon raise was not the product of her relationship with Joseph.
-God chose her to carry His child because she was His faithful servant.
-Mary had to rely on God to tell her when the baby would be born.
In Luke chapter 1 beginning in verse 28, the angel approached Mary about God's plan for her. She was very afraid at first. She could not understand why God had chosen her. She was plain. Simple. I believe that's why He chose her. There was nothing extraordinary about her. She just loved Him every day. When the angel told her what was going to take place and how it would happen, Mary didn't ask any questions. Her response was simply, " I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said." THAT WAS THE END OF THAT!!!! Wow!
Now, that's the BIGGEST difference between me and this Mary! I will list just a few of my responses to God throughout our adoption process:
"Why did you allow me to visit him if You were going to make me wait another three or four months before I could bring him home?"
"Why are other babies being united with their families and mine is not?"
"I begged You not to allow me to get kicked out of PGN!"
"I am hurting so badly without him, do You not care?!"
The list goes on and on. Could it be that God is waiting on me to have a heart like Mary? Is He waiting for me to simply say,"I am Your servant. May it be to me as You have said." If you read my responses, the words "I" "me" and "mine" appear 7 times! And that's only four of my responses. We won't count the rest! You tell me what's wrong with that picture.
My prayer for myself is that God will help me to trust Him the way Mary did. It definitely isn't something that comes naturally to me. He will have to develop it in me. Thankfully He is a patient God!

5 comments:

theowensclan said...

This is so beautiful and well said. My prayer is that we all can be as obediant as Mary. I know God is smiling upon you and all that you are doing to further His kingdom. In His Love, Kathi

LouLou said...

We all struggle at times with wanting what we want NOW. I want Anne Pearce home yesterday! I try everyday to just trust in the Lord. It's so hard not to worry and fret, but we know that He is taking care of everything!

Hugs to you,

Lori said...

Great post!! Very well said!!! I'm glad I finally found you! Thanks for the nice comments you have been leaving at my place!

Andrea said...

Amen to that- especially given our KO's, I could definitely have a heart more like Mary's. Great post!

Bekah said...

Thanks for sharing what the Lord laid on your heart. I need to have a heart more like Mary's during this waiting time. I have been praying that He would be glorified in this process but that will only happen if I place my trust in Him and His timing in bringing Eloisa home. Thanks.