Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tough Love

Those of you who know me, know the struggle I have had with JP sleeping. Things are getting worse. I usually end up putting him in the bed with us out of frustration and he always sleeps once he arrives...until now! Now he doesn't even want to be in our bed. He just decides he's finished sleeping and wants up. AND IT IS A MISERABLE STRUGGLE UNTIL HE FALLS ASLEEP!! My solution? I still do not know, but I am going to try the "tough love" method. When he wakes up the 1st time, rather than bringing him into our room, I am going to lay him back down and let him cry for x amount of minutes. When he gets up again, I'll lay him back down and not return for a little longer....etc...etc. I can only imagine how hard this is going to be, however, it's no piece of cake now!

On the way to pick him up this afternoon I was praying about the whole situation. I told God that I would need His help. I know how bad I am gonna want to give in. It literally breaks my heart to think of JP standing in his crib with his little arms reaching up screaming, "MAMA!" Right in the middle of my prayer God spoke to me. (You know when a thought comes into your head OUT OF NOWHERE- and you know it's the Holy Spirit.) He said, "I never left you." I wasn't exactly sure what that meant. He continued...."I never once left you over this past year when your arms were up in the air and you were screaming for Me. I didn't always give you My peace. I didn't always pick you up and hold you. I certainly didn't give you what you were screaming for. But I was there. I just knew what was best for you."

WOW!!!! My heart almost stopped. I stopped praying then and cried. He's right. Just because I don't respond right away when JP holds his arms up and screams for me doesn't mean I'm not there. I just know what's best for him!

Thank you, God for talking to me.

3 comments:

starzy18 said...

Good luck! I can't imagine how hard it will be. He will be mad, but he knows that you love him very much. I hope that everything goes well!

theowensclan said...

Oh my dear, sweet Andrea. I have been thinking about you all night. God has led me to pray for all of you through this very tough transition. I had just sent you an e-mail letting you know I was praying for you, then I read this. WOW!! God is SOOO amazing. Words can not even describe how chilling it is to hear what you wrote. Now I know that I need not worry about you, Scott and J.P. PRAISE GOD!!

Jennifer said...

It will be hard, but so worth it. JP may not realize it now, but he will feel like a new "little man" when he starts sleeping through the night.

Best of luck...I know it will be tough!