Friday, January 27, 2012

monitoring tv

*GUEST POST*


Contributed by Alec Bates

I think it’s important to monitor what your kids watch on Cable TV even when you’re not around. The more you teach them what’s appropriate and what’s not the less they’re going to want to go behind your back and watch something you know they shouldn’t. My kids, for example, know they’re not allowed to watch Beavis and Butthead or The Simpsons. I don’t think either of the shows (even though they’re cartoons) have good messages for kids and I just don’t want them learning anything from them that I’m not already teaching them. I try to stick to educational program but basically as long as it doesn’t have cursing or drugs or sex or anything like that it’s fair game for my kids. Their favorite show is actually jeopardy which is about as harmless as it gets and I’m fine with that. At least they’re learning at the same time they’re watching TV – not many shows can say that they allow your kids that kind of double duty!

No comments: