Monday, May 7, 2012

stressed out

"Stress is our response to daily life. It affects us emotionally, physically, and behaviorally. The right amount of stress can be a positive force that helps us to do our best and to keep alert and energetic. Too much stress, however, can make us tense, anxious, and can cause sleep problems.



What Are the Signs of Stress?


Common signs of stress include depression, insomnia, tension, anxiety, work mistakes, poor concentration, and apathy, among many others. If high levels of unwanted stress are not properly managed, your health and sense of well-being can suffer. Therefore, it is important to learn how to manage stress."  WebMD


I don't know about you, but everyone I KNOW seems to be stressed out!  Whether it be your job, your kids, your spouse or YOU, stress has a way of jumping on our shoulders when we aren't looking.  I thought that I would take the time to provide you with some tools that can, at the very least, help you to manage your day to day stresses. 


  1. Get a good night's sleep.    If prosecuted, I would definitely be found GUILTY of this charge!  I am famous for getting JP to bed each night, kissing my husband and staying up on the computer for HOURS.  After I turn off the computer, I catch up on my Dr. Phil episodes!  When I finally roll over to look at my phone, it's about four hours past my "bedtime."  It is not because I am not sleepy.  I am not able to turn my mind off. 
  2. Eat a healthy breakfast.  And if you cannot eat a healthy one, EAT ANYTHING!  It's no secret that our metabolism does not crank up until we've taken that first bite of food.  So, it makes sense to me that if our metabolism doesn't turn on until we take our first bite, our brains most probably do not turn on either!  I know that I am not able to think clearly and often times get a headache if I skip breakfast.  A headache before my day begins....that's a MAJOR stressor!
  3. Close your eyes and take in a long deep breath.  I know!  This one sounds a little silly, right?!  I thought so too until I started to teach the exercise to JP.  He has a tendency to get angry at the least little thing.  In an effort to teach him some anger-management skills, I have taught him (or tried) to close his eyes when he feels himself about to blow and breathe in a few times.  (It's so cute watching him do this!)  And you know what?  It has actually helped.  When we breathe in, the oxygen goes straight to our brain.  And sometimes, things actually seem a little bit clearer.  Try it!
  4. Exercise.  I'm not necessarily talking about an elliptical or a treadmill here...take a walk around your neighborhood.  Scott and I tried this the other night with JP.  The three of us just went for a nice little walk.  It was wonderful.  Fresh air and sunshine!  Both are essential ingredients for the well-being of our soul

Obviously I could continue on with this list.  Please feel free to share how you keep your stresses to a minimum.  Things have been wild and crazy around the workplace lately.   This article is definitely for ME!

I hope everyone has an awesome weekend!  I have a date night, tonight!  Thank you aunt Sheryl for entertaining my boy...we owe you one!

No comments: