Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Enough Is Enough!

I read from 1Kings today. Chapter 19:4-7,11-13. God led me here this morning to read about Elijah. In these verses, Elijah was running for his life. He ran through the wilderness, found a tree, sat down under it and prayed that he would die. He cried out to God, "I HAVE HAD ENOUGH, LORD!!" (emphasis mine!) Let me backtrack just a little. Elijah was one of Isreal's prophets. Because of him, the false prophets had been killed. Jezebel had a lot invested in these false prophets and now she was out to kill Elijah. He was afraid and he was tired. He had, had enough! "..while he himself went a day's journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. 'I have had enough, Lord' He then fell asleep." (v 4-5)

Basically Elijah was God's man. In this book, he did a lot of MAJOR stuff for God. He was tired. He was lonely and he felt sorry for himself. In the following verses, the Lord speaks to Elijah and tells him to go and stand on the top of the mountain in His presence. A strong wind came. An earthquake came. A fire came down. God was not in any of them. After the fire was gone, Elijah heard a whisper--It was God! He was in the whisper.

I thought about these verses throughout my day. I am tired too. I have screamed out to God that I have "had enough!" I have days (like today) when all I want to do is sleep. Just like Elijah under that tree. I have friends in my life right now who are tired of their circumstances.
-Tired of cancer
-tired of waiting on their babies
-tired of their relationship struggles
-tired FROM the special attention their children need.
It's unrealistic to think that we can all go hike up to the top of the mountain to be close to God. I started thinking- where can I go to be in His presence? The answer God gave me tonight was everywhere! I can be in His presence in my bedroom, the kitchen, my job, my church etc.. I just have to look for Him and ask Him to show me His face. He will. When I have had enough and I feel like I am unable to put one foot in front of the other, I need to begin RIGHT THEN looking for God. "All at once an angel of the Lord touched him and said 'Get up and eat.' Elijah looked around, and there by his head was a cake of bread and a jar of water.' He ate and drank and then lay down again. The angel of the Lord came a second time and touched him, 'Get up and drink.' Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights.." (v.5-8)
God gave Elijah the strength to make his journey. He is doing the same for me. I cry out "Lord, I am tired of this, I have had enough." I fall asleep and the next day He gives me just enough strength to make it through another day. He will do the same for my friends on their difficult journeys! He does it for all of us!
Whatever journey you are on right now, find the top of your mountain and stand in God's presence. Listen for Him. He will speak to you. Maybe not in a very loud voice. He may speak to you softly--in a whisper!

3 comments:

Bekah said...

Wow did I ever need to hear this word tonight! I have had enough and have felt so burdened the past few days but the Lord will carry me through. Thanks so much for sharing what the Lord showed you. By the way...LOVE the little boots!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. I needed that more than you know tonight, and I am encouraged. I'll be listening for His voice a little more closely now.
The clothes below are too cute, too!!! JP is precious, and we continue to pray he's home soon.
Daisy

keelstar said...

Andrea, I am so glad that I chose to read your post tonight before I go to bed. You have left several comments on my blog before and I wanted you to know that your post really touched my heart tonight. I have felt so down lately about the length of time our adoption is taking. The waiting is excruciating, but the not knowing when she's coming home is even worse. I am so thankful that we can start each day anew and that God gives us just what we need to make it through each day. I am praying for you and JP and I follow your blog daily!

Keely, waiting for Savannah