Thursday, April 5, 2007

Malachi 1:1-8,13-14

"'A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If I am the Father, where is the honor due me? If I am a Master, where is the respect due me?' says the Lord Almighty 'It is you, O priests, who show contempt for my name. But you ask, 'How have I shown contempt for your name?' 'You placed defiled food on my altar.' .....'When you bring blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice crippled or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?' says the Lord Almighty." ........"When you bring injured, crippled or diseased animals and offer them as sacrifices, should I accept them from your hands? Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it, but then sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord."

This passage hit home with me. What sacrifices have I offered the Lord lately? I'll name a few:

-bitterness
-anger
-questions
-sadness
-anxiety
-worry
I could go on and on. Now, if President Bush was coming to my house for dinner, what would I offer him? I'm sure that I would put on my fanciest outfit. I would wear make-up, cook dinner, the house would be immaculate, and I would smile a whole lot. I would definitely be on my best behavior!
OUCH! It hurts to admit that! Who's more important in my life? President Bush or God Almighty? Actions speak louder than words, right?!
In these verses, God is saying, "Do not offer Me a crippled animal when you have one without blemishes to sacrifice!" He only wants our best! How dare I offer Him less than that. Having said that, God is also my best Friend. He wants my honesty too. He knows when I am down or sad. He knows that I am weary and anxious. He does not expect me to pretend in front of Him. However, if I say that I trust Him fully and I truly want His will for my life, I HAVE to act like it! And I haven't been. Not even close.
My question? How do you bring God your very best when you are not at your very best?
Here is my prayer.
Father, forgive me for the sacrifices that I have brought You. They are damaged and blemished. They do not please You. I need Your help in trusting You. I am sad and very tired. In my heart I know that You are in control of ALL things. No amount of worrying, crying and sadness will change that. I want to offer You my best. I want You to carry me throughout each day and use me as Your vessel. All things happen in Your time. Help me to trust You and know that You will bring Your child home to me when the time is right. Until then, give me Your peace. The kind that passes ALL understanding. I have no strength left. Fill me with Yours! Thank You for loving me in spite of me. Thank You for Jesus. I love You.
Amen.

1 comment:

jajbs said...

I was having such a bad attitude this morning-- actually, mad at God for all of the dealys and wanting my baby God home for Easter. You reminded me of where my heart should be. Thank you for your posts. They always seem to come straight from His mouth to my heart. I am glad I "stumbled" across your blog. Happy Easter!

Amanda