Friday, December 14, 2012

christmas

A friend asked me today if I was dreading Christmas.  Given my unfortunate circumstances at this time, it's a logical question.  I had to pause and think for a minute before I answered.  If I had been asked a few months ago, the answer would have definitely been YES.  However, today I believe I can say NO.  I am not dreading Christmas.  While my circumstances have not changed, my attitude towards my life has drastically been altered.  And for this, I am thankful.

Every time I turn around, whether it be through a song, or a message from the pulpit on Sunday morning, the Spirit is continuously reminding me of the "true meaning of Christmas."  If I am looking at this season the way God intended, then how could I not be excited?  The more I think about it, the more clear it becomes to me.  We have misconstrued this time of year in a major way.  Sure it's nice to celebrate and focus on family, but if the truth be told, we should do that 365 days a year!  Christmas is about one thing and one thing only.  JESUS.  Period.  Not gifts, food, family, decorations or trees, (although those are nice!).  It is a birthday celebration honoring our Savior.  So, YES!  That is reason enough for me to get excited!

My aunt was over at the house last weekend and we were talking about how she lost her baby Jesus out of her nativity set.  "How do you lose the baby Jesus?!"  I said to her while laughing.  Of all the pieces in the nativity to lose, Jesus?  Surely that is some form of blasphemy!  Ha!  But then I thought about how I have been guilty of the very same thing.

 I lost sight of the baby Jesus.  Shame on me.

"And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh."  Matthew 2:11


Happy Birthday, Jesus. 

No comments: