Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Soakin' in the Spirit!

I hate the way God knows everything! All I wanted to do was take a bubble bath and pout! I've been home sick all day and I am ready to lie in my bed and watch American Idol. BUT NO!!!!! Once again the Spirit found me in the bath tub!! As you all know by now, when I take a bubble bath, I read. Not tonight. I wanted to sit and sulk. I heard NOTHING from my agency today and I'm mad about it.

I guess you can say that God knew I was soakin' in a lot more than just bath water. Here's a few things that were floatin' around amongst the bubbles:
self-pity
anger
grief
sadness
bitterness

These were all okay with me until I felt Him. Out of nowhere it was as if I heard Him whisper, "Say 'thank you'" WHAT??? Thank you for what?? He replied, "for everything you have!" So, with my lip poked out I began to pray. Here is my list of things that I thanked Him for:
my husband
my family (including my extended family-you know who you are!)
my job
my co-workers, who are MORE than co-workers
my church family
my new adoptive moms
my precious son who's waiting on me
my Savior
I could actually go on. Those are just a few. It was amazing what happened as I was saying thank you. My shoulders felt lighter. And believe it or not, I smiled! After I was done, I began praying for other things that have been on my heart and mind. Other people and situations that have NOTHING to do w/ my present trial. In other words---I BEGAN PRAYING FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN MYSELF!!! I will admit that it was the first SELFLESS prayer that has fallen from my lips in a very long time. Don't get me wrong, I have tried to pray for others, but I always end up sobbing and begging God to send JP home.
I always run the HOT water first. I do not add cold water until the end. The hot water releases the tension in my neck muscles. Most of the time anyway. Tonight it wasn't the water that released my stress! It was a small prayer from a thankful heart. Somewhere along this journey I had forgotten that I have so much to be thankful for. I always feel thankful in my heart---God just needed to hear it from my mouth.
Maybe it's not so bad that God knows everything. Tonight He knew that if I spent time with Him before trying to fall asleep I may not need benedryl!
Oh the peace that comes with praise! Thank you Lord!

7 comments:

Bekah said...

Another challenging and encouraging post. The Lord has challenged me as well today to stop sulking and start praising! Why do we choose to feel miserable and wallow in self pity when peace and joy comes with praising Him and taking our minds off of ourselves?

Aim said...

Andrea we both must have been sulking in the bath at the same time. Two sulking soaking ladies in waiting for their beautiful little boys. I am thankful for you and your honesty. You are one of the few people I can relate to these days. I'll keep you in my prayers!

LouLou said...

I have also been soaking in a little self pity lately. Problems with my agency, not going to GC early, wanting my baby. Now I am going to look around me and be thankful for all the wonderful things God has given me. He is the best of all!
I will continue to pray for you and JP as I do everyday!

Jami said...

Amen, sister!! :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Doripink said...

I don't know you, but have read a lot of different posts lately from Guatemela. We brought our daughter home from Russia in 2005. Your post was wonderful. I remember waiting for Annalise to come home and praying for nothing BUT that!! God has a way of helping us through the roughest patches in our lives. Your faith and love for the Lord will get you through this. Keep praying (I know I will for JP to come home soon) alog with all the others babies waiting for their mommies.
ariniello.blogspot.com

Rose said...

andrea,
I read your blog yesterday and was going to comment on it today and had so much going on i just got back to it. I too, love to have a hot bath and use straight hot water and run the cold at the end when I am just about to faint. I did that tonight. I had such a bad day and I needed that relief. I thought about your post because I was loathing in self pity. I started to try and change my attitude because there are so many things to be thankful for. Thanks for an encouraging post. ~R.

Jewels of My Heart said...

Thank you for sharing. We have all been there. He is faithful and gives us Beauty for ashes and the Oil of Joy for mourning.
God's Speed